Scubapro launched their FRAMELESS mask in 1989. Twenty-five years later it would be fair to say this perennial favourite has stood the test of time.
Now Scubapro has unveiled a white version, manufactured from soft, anti-allergy silicone. This should be reasonably durable whilst providing decent comfort. Why is this model of mask still so popular? It is simple to explain.
By eliminating the frame you create a very low profile / low volume mask that is easier to clear. The lack of a plastic frame also tends to mean you have a lighter mask, and it will sit closer to your eyes therefore providing you with a wider field of view than some framed masks. (Because your eyes don't have to contend with a centre post you gain a better peripheral view).
And it would be fair to say that this mask does provide a pretty good fit to the face for the majority of divers. Traditionally buckles attach to the mask frame. In this instance, because there is no frame, the push-button buckles are attached to flexible tabs on the skirt, thus allow for a better strap angle and quick adjustments. This enables you to fold the mask reasonably flat for travel or stashing as a spare in a drysuit or BCD pocket.
I can see this mask selling because it works and it is white. Scubapro has appealed to certain cultural tastes and fashions by producing this in white, whilst pushing buttons on the inner child in quite a few divers.
This FRAMELESS 2 White has a very strong echo of Star Wars and Stormtrooper about it, that could well prove irresistible. Sometimes there is nothing wrong with buying yourself a fun toy. And the good thing with this fun toy is that it has a proven track record that it also performs too.
- Frameless single-lens design provides an expansive field of view while reducing volume.
- Soft silicone skirt uses a double-seal system for a comfortable, leak-proof fit.
- Push-button buckles attach to tabs on the skirt to optimize range of motion when dialing in fit
- Buckle tabs are flexible, enabling the mask to be folded flat for travelling.
- Wide headband allows for a comfortable fit against the back of the head.
- Available in black or white.
For more information visit: scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com